FAQ's for Recruiters

How do I get started?

That’s an easy one… Just give us some basic information and we will give you a call. To understand how that process works in detail click here…

How do I bid for projects?

Simple answer is you don’t. Our platform will automatically match you with projects that suit your experience. Your pay rate is already set. You are good to go. No BD & no BS!

Do I need an ABN?

In short the answer is yes. You need an ABN to operate as a freelancer. You can apply for an ABN online at the Australian Business Registry and the process usually takes around 15 minutes if you have all the necessary information.

If you’re applying as a Sole Trader getting your ABN is really straightforward. You’ll need documents to prove your identity, your Tax File Number (TFN) and details of the services you intend to provide. You can decide whether or not to register for GST during the sign-up process. (For more information on whether you need to register for GST please see below).

There are of course services that can do all the hard work for you and set up your ABN (and anything else you might need). For example, Easy Companies will get you an ABN in 2 minutes for less than $50 AUD. Not bad!

Do I need to register a Business Name?

A business name or trading name is the name that a business trades under. You only need to register a business name if you want to trade under a different name than your actual name. For example trading as “Craig Watson” doesn’t require registration. However, trading as “Craig Watson Recruitment Services” does. So most freelancers will not need to register a Business Name.

You can register your business name here on ASIC. Again it takes about 15 minutes to complete. There are fees involved to register your name, it’s $34 for one year and $79 for three years registration.

Should I Register for GST?

If you earn more than $75,000 gross income (your total income before expenses & deductions) annually… then you need to register for GST.

You can also register for GST even if you earn less than $75,000 per year. Why would you do this? Mainly to claim GST credits on business purchases.

To register you’ll first need to get an ABN. If you’ve already got one, you can do it via the ATO’s Business Portal or you can call them on 13 28 66.

What is a person from London called?

It depends. At last count there was almost 9 million residents in London. I only know one. His name is Gary… By that logic a person from London is called Gary… Right?

How Do I Get a Business Bank Account?

Now this one is easy. Just take your ABN details, identification (and your business name registration certificate if you registered a business name) into your Bank and ask to open a business account for a sole trader. They will help you out with the rest!

Word of advice… it’s a very good idea to get yourself a simple Accounting solution. Rounded Accounting specifically supports sole traders & freelancers.

What about Invoicing?

Don’t you worry yourself about that one! At Recstra our technology will produce all your invoices for you.

Can I liaise directly with your recruiter?

Of course you can. As soon as you engage your Recstra Certified Recruiter™ they become an extension of your own workforce for the entirety of the project. You will have complete access to them and every facet of their process.

Do I need Business Insurance?

Everyone needs insurance. The great thing is that Recstra will look after most of this for you.

Becoming a Recstra Certified Recruiter™ means that Recstra will cover your PI/PL Insurance (see below).

Public Liability Insurance - This is essential, regardless of the size of your business. It covers damage to third party property or bodily injuries resulting from services that you provide. It also covers accidents, which can be as simple as someone tripping over your cables and sustaining an injury.

Professional Indemnity Insurance. If you provide professional services or advice this kind of insurance protects you and your business against claims of negligence, errors or omissions. It provides cover if your client incurs a loss directly attributed to your services or advice.

However, if you want to cover yourself against loss of equipment, earning protection etc. Please see the help of a Professional Business Insurance Broker